Wednesday, February 16, 2011

The Marcels - Blue Moon

ORIGINATION 45
LAST LISTENED TO
November
CHANCE OF WAKING TO IT
minimal
RATING
★★★★★

Now this is what I call a proper start to the day. My eyes had barely opened, in fact they probably weren't even that, when I that magical "bom bo-bo bom…" rattled around my head. Brilliant!

Blue Moon is one of those classic American that has become a standard. It was written by the renowned composers Richard Rogers and Lorenz Hart in 1934 and has countless versions of it have been recorded since. When The Marcels released their version in 1961, it retooled the song considerably, taking it from a ballad into an up-tempo doo-wop hit.

I first heard the tune when watching American Werewolf In London at a tender age in the mid eighties and I've loved it probably ever since. It's bouncing rock 'n' roll beat, endless made-up word stop-starts, five part harmony and Hart's sentimental lyrics make me smile every single time.

No comments: