Saturday, February 26, 2011

Buck Owens - Under Your Spell Again

ORIGINATION Essential County & Western (v/a) CD
LAST LISTENED TO
last night
CHANCE OF WAKING TO IT
dead certain
RATING
★★★★

I'm still slowly working my way into country music and so my knowledge is pretty slim and my ear not very well trained. Even still, from this vantage point Under Your Spell Again sounds about as perfectly country as can be. It is a perfect mix of pedal steel, fiddle, snare-led drums and sweet, sweet harmonies. It is the kind of song that one almost instinctively knows, where every change is exactly where it ought to be and every vocal can almost be sung along with on the first listen. Such archetypal songs are rare indeed. I've known it for less than five days and it has already buried itself deep into my brain.

No comments: