Thursday, February 03, 2011

Cerrone - Supernature

ORIGINATION 45
LAST LISTENED TO
this morning
CHANCE OF WAKING TO IT
um… good?
RATING
★★★★

There was nothing in my head this morning, just words. It was the unsnoozed radio that provided the spark today, in quite an unlikely form for morning radio. Call me Mr. Cheater if you want, but it is today's song.

Supernature is about as great a piece of Euro-disco as can ever be found. Funky bass, layers of repetitive synth, a woman singing fairly odd lyrics. Seeming that it will roll on forever, with its occasional strange sort-of sound effects and loud whispers, somehow it is all over in just over four minutes. If ever there was a 45 that would benefit from having two copies to thread into each other, prefiguring house music if ever anything did, it was this one. Sadly I only have the one, that I bought from the Professor a little more than nine years ago (and how it be that long ago?). I find myself wondering if it was it one of his recommendations, or if I found it rummaging though a pile of that week's incomers.

As it happens, a few years later I found a copy of the 12" on eBay. I was both pleased and surprised to discover that rather than being a stretched and padded version of the 45, it was actually the full and unedited version, which was equally as good and, best of all, over ten minutes long.

No comments: