Wednesday, February 02, 2011

Baby Charles - Hard Man To Please

ORIGINATION Baby Charles CD
LAST LISTENED TO
December 2010
CHANCE OF WAKING TO IT
limited
RATING
★★★★★

Songs such as this morning's and yesterdays can be quite a tester for my memory. Yesterday was not so bad, because I had the intro and part of the melody, however this morning all I had was one riff. It was new funk and that was as much of a feeling as I had from it. Quite why it was stuck in my head was a mystery. Perhaps it my subconscious reminding me to Pay More Attention To Funk.

After some time spent tracking it down, I found the riff was by Baby Charles, who appeared in my life very early one Saturday morning on Mark Lamarr's God's Jukebox radio show. Whatever track it was he played then, it caught my ears and the first thing I did after a night's sleep was to find their website and buy their album, a self-titled debut. It is a pretty fantastic slab of funk. Hard Man To Please, placed in the middle of that slab, has almost all of the things a top funk tune needs: whacka-whacka guitar, slip-sliding organ, brass stabs, some good repetitive lyrics and a change of chord last section. If the bass was not so often lost in the mix this would certainly be getting played more often, which would have made its tracking down this morning easier.

Even though this is not the best track by Baby Charles, it will give you a good taste of what they are like. Sadly, if you like that taste there will only ever be one album, as they split last year.

No comments: