Saturday, December 24, 2005

Byrdie Green - Return Of The Prodigal Son

ORIGINATION 45
LAST LISTENED TO very recently
CHANCE OF WAKING TO IT good
RATING

Byrdie Green recorded this piece of gospel-soul in 1968. Her father was a preacher and there is something of the feeling of a sermon in this track which i believe is based on a passage from the bible.

Byrdie's vocals are strong and understated and they are backed by some equally restrained music. The music is primarily driven by uncluttered drums and a high in the mix bass. The groovy vehicle is augmented by southern soul guitar chops and some choice churchy organ. It a simple affair but, like the vocals, it's strong and it's groovy.

This edition of the song was, like several others entries here, reissued by Jazzman records about whom not enough good things can be said.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for commenting on Byrdie Green. I agree when you say not enough can be said. I am a lifelong fan of hers, as she is my mother. Her health is failing now, she has no copies of her old songs. I have been surfing the net like crazy trying to compile a cd with all her music from, Sister Byrdie, The Stinger Meets the Golden Thrush (with Johnny "Hammond" Smith), and the Golden Thrush Strikes. I would be ever so grateful if you could point me in a direction where I can get these online, I would be ever so grateful.

Once again, thank you for keeping my moms name active on your blog.

PEACE :O)
dharbee@yahoo.com

Anonymous said...

It is sad for me to say that my mother, Byrdie Green, went home to meet her father on February 26, 2008. Viewing will be on Saturday, May 3,2008, at Mount Neboh Church, On
114th Stree, NYC, NY, 10026 from 9am-11am. Funeral Services, 11am. To those fans who are New Yorkers, or those that are close, the family wants to thank you for keeping our mother's name active on the net.

Thank you for the support you gave my mom throughout her career.

Sincerely,

Dardenella 'Dolly' Green Braxton, and Deborah A. Green Murray.
AKA 'Dhar Braxton'

Anonymous said...

To all the fans of my mom, I want you to know that she went home to be with her father. My mom passed on February 25, 2008, and was cremated the following Saturday, March 3, 2008. The family wishes to thank all of you for your support and love. My mom never truly realized the extent of her success. Thank yo for keeping Byrdie alive in the minds of others.
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/KEEPINITREALYALL/

dharbee@yahoo.com

Anonymous said...

Byrdie Green went home to meet her father in May of this year. To all those who lovingly supported my mother, you have my sincere gratitude. She is definitely singing amongst the stars.

Dolly Green

Anonymous said...

Byrdie Green went home to meet her father in May of this year. To all those who loving supported her, you have my sincere gratitude.