Wednesday, March 02, 2011

Plan B - Writing's On The Wall

ORIGINATION The Defamation Of Strickland Banks CD
RECORDED IN
2010
LAST LISTENED TO
yesterday
RATING
★★★★★

Sometime in the middle of last year, a song on God's Jukebox had me scrambling about in the dark for my notebook, two write down its name. It turned out to be a single from London soul boy and rapper Plan B. I left that name sitting on my list of things to buy one day for quite some time. In January, I finally bought the album and, expecting to like the single and little else, gve it a cursory listen. I was pretty bowled over. Whilst still sounding modern, the album nonetheless manages to straddle a whole range of soul sounds and it does this whilst also telling a story. It is an impresive feat.

Writing's On The Wall is the latest single, quite astoundingly the sixth, to be culled from the album. It's a bittersweet piece of uptempo northern soul, powered by a strong bassline and some squeaky-clean guitar licks. Sadly, being the second song on a concept album, the song does feel somewhat unresolved at its close.

No comments: